Wednesday, June 12, 2013

June 11, 2013

Ok so it is a bit backward, but I want to get some of my pictures on the post even if it isn't the 11th of June.........this is the first day in about 6 weeks I have had time to think about what I wanted to write and I finally got the Smart Phone and the computer to communicate. Yay! After staying home most of the day due to the heat, we took our neighbors advice and went to the Cussler Museum.It contains about 75-80 restored automobiles owned by the author Clive Cussler. Those of us in Charleston know him as the man who raised the CSS Hunley. It is a small museum, but very interesting even for those of us that are not car buffs.The docent was very helpful.s He lifted the hood on any car we were interested in. He had worked restoring cars for Mr. Cussler for over 25 years. Things I learned: 1. Cars built in the 50's and 60's were huge.
2. Some of the car designers had to have had a great sense of humor
3. I had always thought the older cars only came in black, but not so! If you ordered a custom car and not one off the lot you had a choice of colors. Pink, cranberry and bright orange, just to name a few.
4. If the car was featured in his book, the hardback book with the car on the back cover was by the car.I had read many of his Dirk Pitt adventure novels, but I had never paid much attention to the cars. 5.No expense was spared when it came to attaching the side view mirrors.

No comments: